What insurance do I need as a landlord

What insurance do I need as a landlord?

As a landlord, you need to insure your property against damage and loss.

You also need to protect yourself against liability claims from tenants and third parties. The type of insurance you need will depend on the type of property you own and how it is used.

If you own a residential rental property, you will need to purchase a landlord insurance policy. This type of policy covers the structure of your building, as well as any contents that are owned by the landlord and used by tenants. It also provides liability coverage in case a tenant is injured on the premises or if they cause damage to someone else’s property.

If you own a commercial rental property, you will need to purchase a commercial general liability (CGL) policy. This type of policy covers bodily injury and property damage caused by your business operations or employees. It also provides protection in case one of your tenants causes an accident on the premises or damages someone else’s property.


Insurances for landlords have come a long way since the days when a simple fire policy was enough to cover your rental property.

Today, there are a variety of options available, and landlords should take the time to find the right coverage for their individual situation. The following is a rundown of the different types of insurance available to landlords, as well as some tips on how to choose the right policy.

Homeowners insurance typically covers the dwelling itself, but not the contents or any liability arising from renting the property. For this reason, most landlords purchase a separate policy to cover their rental property.


There are two main types of landlord insurance: property insurance and liability insurance.

Property insurance covers damage to the structure of the rental property, as well as any contents that are owned by the landlord and used in the rental unit. This can include furniture, appliances, and carpeting.

Liability insurance protects the landlord from lawsuits arising from injuries or damage caused by the tenant or their guests. It can also provide coverage for damages caused by fires, floods, and other natural disasters.

When choosing an insurance policy, landlords should consider the value of their property, the amount of coverage they need, and the deductible they are comfortable with. It is also important to read the policy carefully to make sure that it covers the types of incidents that could occur. For example, some policies exclude damage caused by flooding or earthquakes.

The best way to find the right insurance policy is to work with an experienced agent who can help assess the risks and identify the coverage that is best for the property.


As a landlord, you need to protect your investment property and your rental income. The best way to do this is to take out landlord insurance.

Landlord insurance is a type of insurance that covers you for damage to your property and loss of rental income. It also covers you for legal liability if someone is injured on your property.

Most landlord insurance policies will cover you for:

• Damage to your property caused by tenants

• Loss of rental income if your property is damaged

• Legal liability if someone is injured on your property

• Theft of your personal belongings from your rental property

When choosing a landlord insurance policy, make sure you read the fine print and understand what is and isn’t covered. It’s also important to compare policies from different insurers to make sure you’re getting the best value for money.

Scroll to Top